Dolomites

Dolomites

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Travel Day or Oops wrong Flight


We wake up before 08:00 for our last morning in Italy. There is a decent breakfast at the hotel that is included. Back to the room to ensure we have everything packed and in the right place. Lana has reserved two seats on the 10:00 shuttle to the airport. It is about a five minute ride.

Being Italy, of course they don't drop you off at the departures entrance but at another entry at a completely different building which involves a very long walk to the check-in for Air Canada. No wait at the check in and Lana has our three pieces of luggage tagged under her name given she has Elite status with the airline which allows her additional weight. This will prove to be a great idea.   :)

Lana's priority is getting her VAT refund. We locate the proper desk and get in the queue. After we get through security and passport control we are in the queue for the actual cash refund. Her refund on the COS purchases was about 10% of the cost. I told Lana that I was her "tax mule" as the documentation was in my name given I had the passport yesterday when she made the purchases in Verona. 

There is no lounge in this airport. The security lineup isn't too bad especially given we get into the Priority queue. We find some food to take on the airplane that can be our lunch and an Italian pastry. We are at the gate in plenty of time and there is free airport wifi. I can update our blog from yesterday.

Our two Air Canada flights today: Venice -> Toronto and then Toronto -> YVR

Our Air Canada Rouge flight to Toronto is scheduled for 12:35 and it pretty much leaves on time. It is a full plane. Lana is sitting in Premium Economy and I am way back in row 33 aisle seat. I didn't realize that the Rouge flight has no video screens. The two offerings of food during our nine hour flight are inedible so luckily I brought my own lunch. Pretty uneventful flight for both of us. Lana was good enough to loan me her iPhone that has the Air Canada app so I can watch a couple of movies. 

We are a little early to Toronto Pearson airport. When I tried to use my Nexus card in the scanner it wouldn't work. The customs agent took a look and noticed some glue on the back of the card as the cause of the problem. He scraped off most of glue on the back (newly renewed card) and then it worked. I declared an overage on our 17 1/2 bottles of Italian wine. The Customs lady was pretty friendly and loves wine herself. We only paid $18CDN for the extra bottles of wine so that worked out to about $1 per bottle. Pretty good deal!

We have some time in the Air Canada lounge and then we both want to purchase some food. Lana has a favourite place that sells Thai food, but a super long wait. I pick up two pizza pieces. There is a lot of people at the gate, but we are first in line for Zone 1. Lana checks in and then the gate agent stops me to say I have the wrong flight. I am on another flight to Vancouver one hour later! What the heck! We check our itinerary and indeed Lana has booked me on a later flight in error. She was trying to find me a cheaper flight and I guess it was one hour later. We wait for everyone to be boarded and then Lana pays the change fee of $150CDN. At least we are on the same flight. We are the last people to board the flight. I am quite back in the plane but have a window seat while Lana is in business class.

Another uneventful flight except for the wrong booking. We both get pretty tired late into the flight given the time zone differential and the fact these are two long flights back to back. We grab a taxi and are physically back home by 21:15. Not too bad.

We are home!


No comments:

Post a Comment